Overnight Sausage Souffle
You can choose your favorite sausage, cheese and add mushrooms or substitute with sliced bell peppers!
Serve warm and it's a whole meal.
6 slicethick, good bread
1 cgrated sharp cheddar cheese
4- 6 largeeggs, separated
1/2 tspdry mustard
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
1 can(s)2 oz. size can button mushrooms
How to Make Overnight Sausage Souffle
- Fry sausage, cut in bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare 2 & 1/2 quart casserole or baking dish by buttering; alternate layers of bread, sausage, cheese.
- Beat egg whites; and in a separate bowl beat egg yolks,salt, mustard, milk. Combine with egg whites and pour over the layers.
- Cover the casserole securely and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven (350 degrees) and bake "uncovered" for 1 hour or until firm. Rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- While casserole is "at rest" prepare sauce using the mushroom soup, sherry and button mushrooms.
I have made this casserole and served it WITHOUT sauce, and it is delicious. I prefer fresh mushrooms, sautéed and added, or sliced sautéed bell peppers in the casserole!