MAPLE NUT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
3/4loaf of italian or challah bread, torn into bite size pieces
3 ozcream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cwhole milk
1 cpure maple syrup, divided (1/3 c. & 2/3 c.)
1 clight brown sugar, firmly packed & equally divided
1/2 csalted butter
1 1/2 cchopped pecans
How to Make MAPLE NUT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- Lightly butter a 9"x13" casserole dish.
- Distribute torn bread in prepared dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- While beating, slowly add milk and contiue beating until smooth.
- Add eggs, cream, 1/3 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup light brown sugar and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over bread in dish, cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hrs. if serving the same day.)
- Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit out for 1 hour.
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make topping: Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2/3 cup maple syrup.
- Cook over medium high heat for about 2 minutes, until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
- Evenly pour over casserole and smooth.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with warm maple syrup. (And some bacon on the side is delicious!)
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.