Hash Brown Casserole
This one has got a great balance of flavors and I actually used bulk sausage instead of the smoked sausage that this recipe calls for.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 cdiced smoked sausage
1 cdiced red bell pepper
1 cdiced yellow onion
2 Tbspchopped canned green chiles
4 Tbspall-purpose flour
2 cwhole milk
2 cchicken broth
4 cshredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 csour cream
1/4 tspblack pepper
1 pkg(30-oz) frozen hash browns, thawed
How to Make Hash Brown Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Reserve rendered fat in pan.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and chiles to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in pan. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add milk and broth, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, approximately 10 minutes. Add 3 cups cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in sour cream, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together cheese mixture, pepper mixture, sausage, and hash browns until well combined. Spoon into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, 45 to 50 minutes. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 3 days.