Green Chile Potato Bake
Come to think about my recipe it is nothing like the one I used. Mine is fantastic!
PS I forgot to take pictures but will add them when I make this Mothers day.
- 2 bag(s)
- fresh hashed potatoes (1lb each) i use southwest style simply potatoes
- 1 c
- sharp cheddar cheese shredded (shred your own if you can)
- 1 1/2 c
- mexican blend shredded cheese (shred your own if you can)reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 2 can(s)
- small cans of chopped green chiles
- 1 c
- plus 1/4 cup whole milk divided
- 1 can(s)
- cream of potato soup do not dilute!
- 1 Tbsp
- minced garlic (optional)
- 2 Tbsp
- butter melted
- container of sour cream for side compliment
How to Make Green Chile Potato Bake
- 1Tools: 9 x 13 casserole dish sprayed.
Large mixing bowl
Spatula or large spoon
- 2Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
Spray casserole dish, set aside.
- 3In a large bowl combine soup, 1 cup of milk, combine well.
Add both cans of green chilies, garlic, butter to the soup mix.
Fold in two bags of potatoes, cheddar cheese and 1 cup of the shredded Mexican cheese.
- 4If after adding the green chilies if the mixture is still to "thick" add more or less of the reserved 1/4 cup of milk. Remember the potatoes will absorb the liquid but you don't want it too dry!
- 5Pour into your casserole dish and bake uncovered until bubbly. Add the reserve 1/2 cup of cheese and bake until melted. My oven was right at 1 hour 15 minutes for it to come together.
- 6Hints: Let the milk, cheese, and hash browns come to room temp before combining. It decreases bake time and the soup mixture does not clump.
I also like my casserole with a "crispy" type texture so I changed to convection for the last 5 minutes.
If you don't have a convection oven you can broil the last few minutes but watch closely!
Serve with sour cream as a side.