Enchilada / Mexican Breakfast Casserole
I used half pork and half beef chorizo and used the full 18 ounces, also a medium salsa.
The original recipe is from Chew Out Loud and calls for the small amounts listed. The larger amounts reflect what I used.
12-18 ozchorizo sausage, no casings, i used 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef
1/4 cmilk, whole
1/4 tspsalt, i left out and it was fine
1/2 tspgarlic powder
3 Tbspolive oil
1-2 cblack beans, rinsed and drained, i used 2 cups
12corn tortillas, 8 inches each
15 ozmexican blend shredded cheese
20-28 ozenchilada sauce, canned, i used 28 oz.
1 cchunky salsa
2 1/4 ozsliced olives, drained
3 Tbspfresh cilantro, chopped for garnish, i left off
How to Make Enchilada / Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Grease a 13x9 glass baking dish; set aside. Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chorizo while stirring and breaking it up into small pieces until cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs together with milk, ¼ tsp salt, and garlic powder.
- In same skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat about 1 min. Add beaten eggs and cook, gently pushing and stirring cooked portions to the center and allowing uncooked portions to come underneath until scrambled eggs are set. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine enchilada sauce, ½ tsp salt, and salsa.
- Spread a third of the salsa mixture on the bottom of prepared baking pan. Layer 6 corn tortillas, followed by half of the scrambled eggs, half of the chorizo, and half of the beans. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Spread a third of the salsa mixture on top, followed by the remaining tortillas, scrambled eggs, chorizo, and beans. Spread the remaining third of salsa mixture. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Top with sliced olives.
- **This is were you want to cover and chill if making ahead.**
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
**If made ahead let set at room temp about 30 to 40 minutes before baking.**
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- * Notes: Casserole may be assembled the night before, covered and chilled overnight, and baked the next morning. If cold, additional bake time may be required. Regular sausage may be used if you don't want any heat, but Chorizo is highly recommended.