- 1 Tbsp
- leek (white and light green parts only) halved and thinly sliced and well washed.
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch
- asparagus (1 pound) tough ends removed and thinly sliced on the diagonal.
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 6 medium
- mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 2 slice
- bacon, diced
- 4 large
- 1 1/4 c
- half and half
- ground nutmeg
- 1 c
- shredded gruyere cheese (4 oz)
- pie crust shell for 9-inch pie plate, well chilled
How to Make Asparagus Quiche
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with the rack in the lowest position.
- 2In a large skillet, melt butter over medium. Add bacon and cook until starting to brown. Add leek, asparagus, garlic, and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes. Let cool.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of nutmeg.
- 4Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese; top with asparagus mixture. Pour egg mixture on top.
- 5Bake until center of quiche is just set, 50 to 60 minutes, rotating sheet after about 30 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- 6To store, let cool, then refrigerate, up to 1 day. Reheat at 350 until warm in center, about 30 minutes. It does warm up very well.
- 7To save time I used a pre-made (Maria Calendar) frozen crust and it worked just fine.