Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
2 cwhole wheat flour
1 Tbspwheat germ
1 tspbaking soda
2 ccut up ripe banana
1/4 cvegetable oil
1 Tbsplemon juice
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1 cchopped walnuts (optional)
How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 8-by-5-by-3 inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. (For a less dense loaf, substitute 1 cup of white flour for 1 cup of the whole wheat flour)
- If you have a food processor, combine eggs, banana, honey, vegetable oil, lemon juice and vanilla until well blended. If you are like me and don't have a food processor, I just mash it all together real good with a potato masher and give it a few good stirs with a rubber spatula
- Pour banana mixture over flour mixture and add walnuts (if you're using them). Stir with a rubber spatula just until blended
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until sides pull away from the pan and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, between 45- 55 minutes.
- Cool on rack before removing from the pan.
- I'm not overly fond of walnuts; I prefer pecans. Sometimes I take about a cup of chopped pecans, toss them in a bowl with about a tablespoon of melted butter, stir them around in a hot skillet for a couple of minutes, let them cool off some and throw them in instead of walnuts. I like the toasted pecan flavor with the bananas!