How to Make Ukrainian Poppyseed Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Heat the poppy seeds and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat just before the milk begins to boil. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In thirds, alternately beat into the butter and sugar the dry ingredients and milk. Add the lemon extract and zest at the end.
- Lightly spray two loaf pans and divide the batter between the two pans. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.