How to Make Ukrainian Poppyseed Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and adjust oven rack to middle position.
- 2Heat the poppy seeds and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat just before the milk begins to boil. Set aside.
- 3Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 5In thirds, alternately beat into the butter and sugar the dry ingredients and milk. Add the lemon extract and zest at the end.
- 6Lightly spray two loaf pans and divide the batter between the two pans. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.