Sweet Bread - European
How to Make Sweet Bread - European
- 1In a small saucepan, heat milk, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and butter over low heat until butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm
- 2Place the warm water in a mixing bowl and add the 1/3 Tbsp sugar and then add the yeast. Let proof for 5 minutes (the yeast gets nice and foamy). Add egg, milk mixture and about half the flour. If you’re using a mixer use the dough hook attachment and mix on speed 2 for 1 minute. Otherwise you’re going to get some major muscles using a wooden spoon!
- 3Continue mixing and add remaining flour a bit at a time, mix another 2 minutes or until the dough clings to hook and cleans the sides of bowl. Continue mixing until dough is smooth and elastic. It will be slightly sticky to touch.
- 4Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1-2 hours or until doubled. Punch down dough, break off a couple small pieces of dough for making decorations. Shape dough into a round loaf and place in greased round (18x8cm or 7×3 inch) bread pan. Using the extra dough, decorate with a cross in center or braids around the edge. Cover and let rise in warm place again for 1-2 hours or until doubled.
- 5Heat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Gently brush the top of the risen dough with milk or beaten egg yolk (Or if you want a soft crust don’t brush anything on, bake, then brush butter ontop once it’s done). Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan immediately and cool on wire rack.