How to Make Swedish Bread
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Melt butter in saucepan and stir in milk. Pour the lukewarm mixture into the yeast.
- Stir in the salt, sugar and cardamon.
- Gradually add the flour and work the dough until smooth and well blended. (Depending on the humidity of the day, you may need a little less flour or a little more.)
- Cover the bowl and let rise 1 hour.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and shiny.
- Divide into two portions and shape into loaves. Place into greased loaf pans, cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- (Optional) Brush tops with a sugar water mixture.