Super Easy King Cake
How to Make Super Easy King Cake
- 1To thaw the bread dough I put it into a greased loaf pan and cover with a greased piece of plastic wrap before I leave for work. When I come home it is ready to go.
On floured surface, roll out your dough to a rectangle of about 10 x 18 inches. It doesn’t have to be exact, close enough works!
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and extract and mix until creamy and well blended. Spread over dough to within an inch of each side. Roll up longways (to make a long log) and brush the final edge with water before pressing it into the log to seal.
- 3Take log and form into a circle, pressing the ends into each other and brushing with water if needed to seal together. Spray top lightly with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Set in warm place to rise for 45 minute to an hour.
- 4Remove plastic wrap and bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool.
- 5Mix confectioner’s glaze and drizzle over top of cake with a spoon. Immediately sprinkle colored sprinkles over glaze if desired. Allow to sit until glaze hardens.
- 6Traditional King Cake colors are:
Purple - to symbolize Justice
Green - to symbolize Faith
Gold - to symbolize Power
Here is the wikipedia link to the meaning of the king cake. It is used to celebrate Fat Tuesday (or Mardi Gras) on the Gulf Coast.
- 7My personal note: I think you could flavor this up any way you like, maybe add nuts, chocolate chips or coconut, for example, and different extract flavorings to have it for any occasion. Even pie filling would be wonderful in this. Melanie