1/4 cmelted shortening (crisco)
1 ccorn meal (martha white self-rising corn meal mix with hot rise)
1/2 call-purpose flour
1egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbspbacon fat
How to Make Southern Cornbread
- Place the shortening in a medium sized skillet ( I use a 5 inch skillet) and place it in the oven that has been pre-heated to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn meal, flour, bacon drippings, beaten egg, buttermilk, sugar and salt. Batter will be slight thick.
- Once the shortening has completly melted and starts to sizzle in the pan, pour the shortening over the batter (It should sizzle when poured over the batter....the secret to really good cornbread.). Stir until the hot grease is completely incorporated into the batter.
- Pour the batter back into the hot skillet and place it in the oven. Bake about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the side of the bread has pulled away from the pan.
- Once the cornbread has been taken out of the oven, allow it to cool for about 5 minutes. Loosen the cornbread from the pan by running a knife around the edge of the cornbread and the inside of the pan. Invert the bread into a serving plate.