Rich Corn Bread
The ingredients for my butter-and-egg-rich corn bread can be juggled to accommodate a Southerners preference for white cornmeal and no sugar.Here is a Northerners style made with yellow cornmeal and some sugar
- 1 1/2 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- each salt and sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1 c
- eggs,room temperature
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream,room temperature
- 1/3 c
- butter, melted
BAKING PAN-1 (FOR THICK) OR 2 (FOR THIN) 9X9 INCH BAKING PANS GREASED OR LINED WITH PARCHMENT PAPER IF NOT MADE OF TEFLON OR OTHER NONSTICK MATERIAL
How to Make Rich Corn Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F,
- 2In a mixing bowl,measure cornmeal,flour,salt,sugar and baking powder.
In a small bowl beat together the milk and eggs and pour into dry ingredients.
Beat until thoroughly blended.
Pour in the cream and stir in the butter.Blend the mixture
- 3Divide the batter into 2 baking pans to the depth of 1/2 inch for thin breads or pour all the batter to the depth of 1 1/2 inches into 1 pan for 1 thicker bread.
- 4Bake in the oven until bread is nicely browned.Insert toothpick or cake-testing pin in the bread--it will come out clean and dry if bread is done.
- 5Remove bread from oven.Serve hot.Cut in squares or rectangles