RAISIN SWEET BREAD FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS
Give yourself time to do a good job making this bread, it does contain yeast. It has a STAND TIME of 30 minutes and a RISE/REST TIME of 2 hours.
3/4 cwhipping cream
1/2 cbutter, unsalted
1 1/2 cgolden raisins
1/2 cwhole milk
2 Tbspactive dry yeast
1/2 tspsuperfine granulated sugar
2 tspall purpose flour
3/4 csuperfine granulated sugar
2 tspvanilla extract
1 tspfinely shredded lemon peel
6 1/2 cbread flour
1 mediumegg, slightly beaten
How to Make RAISIN SWEET BREAD FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS
- 1. Let 4 eggs, whipping cream,and butter stand at room temperature30 minutes. Oil a 15x10x1 inch baking pan; set aside. **** (OVEN TEMPERATURES WILL BE 400 F/ 300 F/225 F....DIRECTIONS WILL EXPLAIN..FIRST PREHEAT TO 400 DEGREES F.)
- 2. Meanwhile, place raisins in small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand 20 minutes to plump up then drain.
- 3. In small saucepan heat milk just until warm (110 degrees F). Transfer to small bowl; add yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp flour. Mix 1 minute or until smooth.Set aside 10 minutes or until doubled.
- 4. In very large bowl wisk butter for 30 seconds, add eggs,whipping cream,3/4 cup sugar,and vanilla. Lightly wisk for 3 minutes. Add lemon peel, yeast mixture, and bread flour.
- 5. Use one hand to scrunch and knead the dough, turning bowl with opposite hand. Continue kneading until dough begins to feel smooth and moves as one (5-7 minutes). Knead in raisins. Dust top of dough. Cover and allow to rest in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- 6. Knead dough in the bowl 3 to 5 minutes. Cover, let rise 30 minutes.
- 7. Oil a large clean work surface; turn out dough onto oiled surface. Divide into 3 equal portions. Roll and shape each portion into a 30 inch rope. Fold each rope in half lengthwise, side by side, in prepared pan. Loosely cover; let stand in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- 8. NOW.....Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush bread with beaten egg. Bake 10 minutes or until top begins to brown. Cover loosely with foil and bake 10 minutes more. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Bake 15 minutes more. REMOVE FOIL; reduce oven to 225 degrees F. Bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until baked through (skewer comes out clean).
- 9. Remove bread from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Wrap in a clean table cloth or tea towel to keep warm. Makes 40 slices. Can freeze some or send some home with guest if there is any left.