Portuguese Sweet Bread (Massa Sovada)
This recipe is adapted from my local paper for "Easter sweet bread". For the holidays, a boiled egg is placed in the center of the loaf. I remember as a child, not being able to wait to get to the egg. So I would just dig in for it! :)
How to Make Portuguese Sweet Bread (Massa Sovada)
- Dissolve yeast in water and let rise to double in size.
- Mix together flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, melt butter and shortening in milk over medium heat and cool to lukewarm. Beat eggs and sugar together.
- Mix all ingredients together and knead until dough lifts neatly from bowl. Let rise, usually six to eight hours.
- Punch down, deflating the dough. Form individual breads and put in buttered and floured pans (most any shape or size will do). The dough should fill only half the pan. Let rise again until dough doubles in size, filling the pan.
- Brush top of dough with beaten egg.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes (adjust longer cook time for larger loaves). The bread should be golden brown.