PAO DOCE - PORTUGUESE SWEET BREAD
Jo Anne Sugimoto
How to Make PAO DOCE - PORTUGUESE SWEET BREAD
- 1Dissolve yeast in potato water. Stir in 3 Tbsp sugar, potatoes and ginger. Cover, let rise till it doubles in size.
- 2Scald milk, add salt and cool to lukewarm.
- 3In a small mixing bowl, use a mixer to beat eggs, gradually beat in 1 3/4 cup of sugar. Stir into yeast mixture.
- 4Add butter and mix well. Stir in 2 cups of flour, then milk. Add 2 more cups of flour, beat for 5 minutes. Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- 5Place on lightly floured surface, knead the remaining flour until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes
- 6Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise till double it's size.
- 7Grease 4 - 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans.
- 8On a lightly flour surface divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each dough into the loaf pans. Cover, let rise till doubled.
- 9Preheat electric oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes or until done.