How to Make Pan de Muerto
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter, milk, and water until very warm but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, measure out 1 1/2 c. flour and set the rest aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 1 1/2 c. flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Beat in the warm liquid (110*) until well combined. Add the eggs and beat in another cup of flour. Continue adding more flour until dough is soft but not sticky. Knead on lightly floured board for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly grease a bowl and place dough in it, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hr. Punch the dough down and shape into loaves resembling skulls, skeletons, or round loaves with bones placed ornamentally around the top. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 40 minutes. Remove and paint on glaze.
- Glaze: Bring all ingredients to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Then apply to bread with a pastry brush