- 2 c
- white lily all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 c
- dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 6 Tbsp
- cold unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 1 large
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- 3/4 c
- skinned toasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c
How to Make Nutella Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place rack in center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Whisk flour in canister before measuring to loosen flour so you do not inadvertently get too much flour and thus end up with a heavy dry scone (do not sift). Measure flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix with a fork until combined.
- 3Add butter chunks. Use pastry cutter to cut into flour until butter is pea size and mixture is coarse.
- 4In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the dough just comes together. Gently and briefly knead the dough with your hands. Add the chopped toasted skinned hazelnuts and knead gently just until the dough comes together. There should still be a few dry bits scattered throughout.
- 5Flatten dough into a rectangle 6 inches by 12 inches and spread 1/2 C Nutella on top in a crisscross pattern. Roll dough up to make a cylinder about 6 inces long, turn it on its end and gently flatten into a disk about 1 3/4 inches high. Do not overwork dough.
- 6Cut dough into 6-8 wedges and place them on prepared baking sheet. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a scone comes out clean. (Rotate baking sheet halfway through baking time.) DO NOT OVERBAKE. Transfer scones while they are still on parchment paper to a wire rack. Heat remaining 1/4 C Nutella in microwave for 10 seconds or until pourable.
- 7ASSEMBLE SCONES:
WHILE SCONES AND NUTELLA ARE STILL WARM - pierce tops of scones a few times with a fork.
Pour pourable Nutella in a quart size sealable plastic bag. Clip bottom corner of bag to make about an eighth of an inch hole. Drizzle Nutella over tops of warm scones. Transfer to refrigerator to set for 5 minutes. Serve immediately or wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 2 days.