Make-Ahead Sticky Buns
TO MAKE BUNS
1 pkg(2 1/4 tsp.) dry yeast
1/4 cwarm water (100-110 degrees)
3 3/4 cflour
1 cevaporated fat-free milk
1 largeegg, lightly beaten
STICKY STUFF AKA CARAMEL
1/3 cevaporated fat-free milk
1 cdark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cdark corn syrup
2 Tbspbutter plus more for spreading on dough
CINNAMON SUGAR MIX
1/4 cbrown sugar
3/4 cchopped walnuts or pecans
How to Make Make-Ahead Sticky Buns
- For Buns:
Mix yeast, 1 tsp. sugar and warm water until dissolved. Set aside.
- In food processor pulse about 2 times:
flour, sugar, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix the yeast mixture above, with the 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup water, and egg, then; Add slowly to processor and process until it forms a ball. Process one more minute.
- Knead about 8 minutes, adding no more than 1/4 cup flour.
Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. (Depends on how warm your kitchen is)
- For Sticky Stuff/ Caramel:
Combine in small saucepan the 1/3 cup milk, brown sugar, syrup and butter. Bring to a boil., stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- After dough has doubled, punch it down. Let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 24x10 rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Use a pastry brush to coat dough surface with melted butter.
(Start with a half of a stick).
Sprinkle the Cinnamon mixture over the melted butter on the dough. Roll up.
Cut 12 slices.
- Coat baking pan with butter. (Two 9-inch round pans are recommended)
Sprinkle with 3/4 cup chopped nuts. Top with Sticky Stuff (brown sugar mixture).
Arrange 12 slices, cut side up, in each round pan. (6 buns per pan).
- Cover with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray.
Refrigerate 8-24 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Bake 23 minutes or until nicely browned. Invert on plate or another pan.