Ma Ma Carol's fresh home made Bread
How to Make Ma Ma Carol's fresh home made Bread
- 1First you have to have a starter which is 2/3 cup sugar 3 Tbs potato flakes (plain not with added butter) 1 cup hot water, mix and let set in a canning jar with ring and lid, put a hole in jar lid it will need to get air. Let set out of fridge for 8 hours.
- 2After 8 hours stir and make bread or store in fridge, must feed every 4 days using same steps as above except after you mix up your starter you must use it to feed your starter in the fridge. So assuming you have your starter, heres how we get started: take your starter out of fridge, mix up ingrdients to feed it, then mix both togather well, if your not making bread, pour out all but 2 cups and keep in fridge in same jar, feed and do the same as above every 4 days
- 3if your making bread: after you have feed the starter and it has set out for 8 hours then you mix 1/3 cup sugar, 1 Tbs salt, 1/2 cup corn oil, 1 1/2 cup hot water, stir till dissolved, add 6 cups bread flour, mix up, oil hands with corn oil, knead and work into a ball shape, you may add a little more starter if needed, it should look moist and feel stickie, transfer to another clean glass bowl pour alittle oil into bottom to prevent sticking, cover with foil, let set 8 hours or until dough has risen to the top of bowl
- 4Then punch down, and I take the same foil I had covered it with and place it on my counter top, sprinkle alittle bread flour on foil, take dough and shape out on the foil to look like a long french loaf, you dont want to handle it to much, so it will taste lite and fluffy, then I have my 9 little loaf pans sprayed with a non floured spray, and I take the side of my hand like Im doing a karate chop, and cut off palm sized pieces and place in pans, I only use 9 pans then I take a cup cake pan, spray, and pinch small portions of whats left and it makes about 6 dinner rolls, take a little oil on your fingers and rub some on the top of all the bread youve made, cover them all with foil, this time making a tent, you dont want the dough to stick to the foil when it rises,
- 5after about 4 hours your ready to bake your bread, bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 min depending on your oven or until top of bread is golden, transfer to cooling rack, rub butter on top while hot, and serve