Lemon Almond Tea Bread
Angela (Grammy) Derby
2/3 cbutter, melted
1/2 tsppure almond extract
3 call-purpose flour, sifted
2 tspbaking powder
2 Tbspgrated lemon peel or 1 tbsp. dried lemon zest
1 cchopped nuts, optional
6 Tbspfresh lemon juice
1/2-3/4 cconfectioners' sugar
How to Make Lemon Almond Tea Bread
- Preheat oven to 325'F. Prepare 2 loaf pans. (I sprayed mine with Pam)
- Combine the butter and 1 cup sugar; blend well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add almond extract.
- Sift together dry ingredients; add to egg mixture alternately with milk. Blend just enough to mix. Fold in lemon peel and nuts.
- Turn into greased loaf pans (aluminum or glass). Bake in slow oven 325'F. for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (If it isn't done in 35 minutes, just add 2 minutes at a time. My loaves today took 37 minutes total.)
- Mix 6 Tbsp. of lemon juice and 1/2 -3/4 cup confectioners sugar. Immediately spoon over hot loaf in pan.
Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
Cool on rack. Do not cut until completely cooled.
Makes 2 loaves