Lazy Man's Bread
I have tweaked the recipe by adding a little something extra depending on what I was going to be serving with the bread. I have added a bit a garlic to serve with chili or a bit of cinnamon to serve as a breakfast bread or make french toast.
I have also used Bisquik in place of the self rising flour when I discovered that I did not have any self rising flour.
2 cself rsing flour (or bisquick)
1 1/2 cmilk
pinchgarlic powder (savory to serve with chili or spaghetti)
pinchcinnamon (to serve as a breakfast bread or use left over stale bread to make french tost )
How to Make Lazy Man's Bread
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (twenty minutes)
- Spray 8 inch cast iron skillet with non stick spray (if your skillet is well seasoned, you do not have to do this step) place one tablespoon of shortening from the 1/4 cup into the skillet
- When oven has preheated for 15 minutes, place cast iron skillet into oven to heat while you make the batter.
- In a medium bowl, combine shortening, flour and milk. Mix well. (May add one of the optional ingredients at this time) Pour immediately into hot cast iron skillet. Return to oven to bake.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes until the top is golden brown. For high altitudes: Add approximately 5 to 8 more minutes to the baking time