Kolacky Slovak Nut or Poppy Seed Rolls/Kolachi Pan Dulce de Nueces o Semillas de Poppy Slovako
- 1/2 c
- sweet cream or evaporated milk
- 1 small
- cake of yeast, the recipe calls for 1 cake i believe one envelope of dry yeast equals one cake. do not use quick rising yeast.
- 1 Tbsp
- 3 c
- 2 stick
- real butter, not margerine
- 3 large
- egg yolks
- ~~poppyseed filling~~
- 1/2 lb
- ground poppyseed
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- ~~nut filling~~
- 1 lb
- walnuts ground
- 1/4 c
- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- melted butter
How to Make Kolacky Slovak Nut or Poppy Seed Rolls/Kolachi Pan Dulce de Nueces o Semillas de Poppy Slovako
- 1Combine cream, yeast and sugar, let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2Mix flour and butter, add yolks add yeast mixture and work with hands until dough is not sticky and hands are clean.
- 3roll out thin, a small piece at a time. Fill with either nut filling or poppyseed filling and roll. Put on cookie sheet and set aside for about 30 minutes in a nice warm place. Let rise. Also Apricot filling is also very delicious, You can use apricot preserves if you do ot like poppyseed or nut fillings.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Delicious Enjoy Above recipe is a Kolacky recipe that is fast. Most Kolacky take much longer because they are left to rise twice.
- 5Poppyseed Filling: Combine all the ingredients and cook until the milk is absorbed. Spred on dough and roll up jelly roll fashion pinch edges. Let rise for 30 minutes
- 6Walnut Filling: Course grind one pound of walnut meats, Combine with warm milk, butter, and sugar stir well with a wisk until most of the sugar is dissolved, sugar does not have to be totaly dissolved add ground nut meats and spred out on rolled dough. Roll up jelly roll fashion and pinch edges. Let rise for 30 minutes Enjoy
- 7Will post my picture later as this is for a member as a special request. LOL
- 8Variation: Cultural Explosion: For my Cream Cheese and Guava filling, take a four ounce package of cream cheese the small one, leave out to soften, then add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and blend in well. The cheese should be very soft to spread easily Spread this cream cheese on the dough, then take guava marmalade (Conchita, Ancel or Goya are brands I buy in the Latin food markets) Guava marmalade comes in a can. Take a large tablespoon and put a few spoonfulls of the marmalade over the cream cheese and spred all over the cream cheese. Then roll jelly roll fashion. Pinch edges or fold under so spread wont come out. Follow the recipe above and bake. Delicious.