Indescribably Delicious Banana Bread
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- 1 1/2 c
- very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 2/3 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 2 c
- 1 c
- chopped pecans (note: i toast mine.)
- 3/4 c
- dark brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp
- 1/3 c
How to Make Indescribably Delicious Banana Bread
- 1In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- 2In a medium-size bowl, mash bananas.
Beat eggs; add to bananas along with vanilla and buttermilk.
Mix well, then add to mixture in the large mixing bowl.
- 3In a third bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking soda.
(Confession: I never sift them, and I don't dirty a third bowl.)
Add to banana mixture; mix well.
- 4Grease and flour 2 large loaf pans or 4 - 5 mini loaf pans.
Distribute batter evenly amongst them.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees F until bread pulls away from the sides: 45 - 50 minutes for a large loaf; 30 minutes for a mini loaf. DON'T OVERCOOK!
- 6About 10 minutes before the bread is done, begin making the topping. In a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 6 Tbs. butter. Stir in the brown sugar and milk. Cook until very syrupy. Stir frequently, if not constantly.
- 7Remove syrup from heat. Stir in nuts. Pour over warm cooked bread, spreading topping to all corners. Broil until brown and bubbly, about 1 minute.