HONEY SWEET POTATO KNOT ROLLS
The photo is my own. Recipe adapted from Family Cookbook.
- 2 1/4
- teaspoons active dry yeast
- cup warm 2% milk
- tablespoon honey
- cup mashed sweet potatoes, canned, drained well
- tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 1/4
- teaspoon salt
- large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- cups bread flour. you won't use all of it.
- cooking spray
How to Make HONEY SWEET POTATO KNOT ROLLS
- 1Note:I use a kitchen aid mixer with mixing bowl and dough hook to mix the bread dough. However, it can be mixed by hand.
- 2Dissolve yeast in warmed milk and honey, around 110 degrees. Use a whisk to mix well.
- 3Add the mashed 3/4 cup sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon of butter, and egg yolks, whisk again.
- 4Measure 2 cups of the flour and add the 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt to it and mix well, add that to the sweet potato/yeast mixture and whisk well. Put the mixing bowl on the Kitchen Aid stand if using the mixer and using the dough hook, turn the machine on low.
- 5Lightly spoon flour into the bowl, a little at a time, until the dough ball picks up all the floor from the bottom of the bowl. You want a clean bowl, but you also want a dough that is not dry. I never use all of the 5 cups, when the dough is the righ consistency, I quit adding flour. Knead for 8 minutes after the dough looks firm but not dry.
- 6Spray a large mixing bowl, I use stainless steel because metal is warmer and conducts heat. I place my dough in the bowl and turn it, cover it with a tea towel and set it in the oven with just the oven light on to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes or so.
- 7Punch the dough down and let it rest covered about 5 minutes.
- 8Prepare a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 9Turn the dough out on a very lightly floured board and shape it into a long log. Cut the log in half with a sharp knife, and take each half and cut into 8 or 9 pieces. Take each piece and shape it into a long rope about 9 inches long. It helps to hold the end and spin it like you would spin a rope and keep doing that and it will become a long rope, tie a loose knot in it, bring the ends up and pich them together. Place the knotted rolls on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, and put them back in the oven to rise about 30 minutes or so until doubled in size.
- 10Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the rolls about 8 or 10 minutes, depending on your oven, until golden brown, remove from oven and brush with butter. Enjoy!