"HARVEST" - Butternut Squash Bread
How to Make "HARVEST" - Butternut Squash Bread
- 1In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Microwave Butternut Squash until cooked and soft inside. Cut it in 1/2, take out seeds, and squash flesh. In a mixing bowl, combine butternut squash, milk, butter, 1 egg, brown sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- 2Add yeast mixture and 1-1/2 C Flour. Mix well. Add remaining flour to make a soft dough, if dough is sticky can up to another 1/2 C flour.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Placed in grease bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise for about 1 hour in warm place, until double.
- 4Punch dough down. Place on geased sheet or baking stone or bread pan. Let bread rise one more time to almost double, about 30 minutes. I like to either bake in round ball or as a "Braid." *See Baker's Tip. for details.
- 5Combine "Glaze" ingredients - Egg & water, brush over bread or braid. Bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Makes 1 Loaf.
- 6BAKER'S TIP: To make a "Braid", divide the dough into 1/3 each, roll each 1/3 into a 18-inch rope. Braid 3 ropes together, pinch ends.
- 7BAKER'S TIP: If you don't want to all the mixing by hand, I have used my dough hook on my mixer or a bread machine too! :) Bon Appetite!