Grandmas Pumpkin Bread
I don't make just one, my theory is if your going through all the mess to make it why not make several. They freeze very well and make wonderful gifts for the neighbors, mailman, teacher, boss...whoever!
You have to do it by hand, NO MIXER.
Enjoy my friends :)
10 call purpose flour
8 cwhite sugar
6 tspbaking soda
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
4 1/2 tspsalt
1 1/2 tspcloves
2 cshortening (i use crisco)
6 c100% pumpkin (i use the canned)
How to Make Grandmas Pumpkin Bread
- Make sure to read the recipe carefully making sure you have all your ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour 6 (average size)loaf pans. Don't just use the spray, your breads will stick.
I have used metal, glass and even disposal tins. They all work. If you use the tins make sure you grease and flour liberally.
- Have two large bowls ready.
Hand mix your dry ingredients in the first bowl using a wire whisk to blend.
- In bowl two add your shortening (I use Crisco) pumpkin and water.
Hand mix this the best you can. It won't be perfect but that's okay. You just don't want any large shortening clumps.
- gradually add your dry ingredients to the wet.
- After that is mixed add your eggs. I crack open my eggs one at a time in a separate clear bowl making sure I don't get any shells in my batter.
HAND stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Scoop your batter equally into 6 pans, should be 1/2 to 2/3's full.
- Place in the center rack of your oven, I put all in at one time! Works!
Test your breads with a toothpick when they start to raise and lightly brown on top. You don't want to over bake or under bake so after 30 minutes do not leave your kitchen.
You will have some clean up to do anyway! LOL
- When your toothpick comes out clean from the center of your breads remove all of them from the oven and turn out on a wire rack right away. Be careful, they can be very hot. If you have a "Ove glove" it will help.
I know that sounds crazy but it's the way I have always done it.
Freaked my mom out, but if my grandma were here she would do the same thing!
- As your breads cool keep turning them (flip)on their sides. Cools faster.