Gingered "Vernor's" Pound Cake
(Note: I personally prefer to use the crystallized ginger mixed with the fresh grated ginger. This helps to bring back those memories of drinking a cold glass of Vernor's on a hot day or having a "Detroit Cooler".)
- 1 1/2 c
- butter (at room temperature)
- eggs (at room temperature)
- 3 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 3 c
- brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 Tbsp
- crystallized ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp
- grated fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 c
- whipped cream (optional)
How to Make Gingered "Vernor's" Pound Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 325 F.
Allow the butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan; set aside.
In a bowl mix the flour and baking powder.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds.
Gradually add brown sugar, beating 10 minutes or until very lighr and fluffy.
Beat in the crystallized ginger, vanilla extract and fresh ginger until combined.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each and scraping bowl frequently.
Alternately add flour mixture, beating after each addition till just combined.
Pour into prepared pan.
- 4Bake in 325 degree oven for 65 to 70 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool in cake pan for 15 minutes.
Run knife around edge of pan and invert cake onto rack, remove pan.
Invert cake right side up; cool.
Serve with whipped cream if desired.