Gift In A Jar: Down Home Cornbread Mix
I sometimes give a little jar with honey or my home made pear honey, and always a jar of home made jam or jelly.
This recipe is great for anyone, but seems like all the single guys like it the best!
- pint jars (widemouth are best)
- 12 1/2 c
- sifted all-purpose flour
- 12 1/2 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/3 c
- baking powder
- 3 1/3 c
- 3 1/4 Tbsp
How to Make Gift In A Jar: Down Home Cornbread Mix
- 1In large bowl: Mix all ingredients together well.
- 2Spoon 2 cups of mixture into dry sterilized jars. Wipe the rim of the jars. Place lids and rings.
- 3Make the following recipe cards:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Down Home Cornbread:
1 jar cornbread mix
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup Crisco shortening
Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix together well with a fork or a whisk until smooth (for about 1 minute...do not over beat).
Grease a 8-inch square pan. Pour in the batter. Place in oven.
Bake at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4Cut 6-8 inch circles from cloth. Place a circle on each jar. Secure cloth in place with a rubber band. Cover the rubber band with a pretty ribbon, put recipe card on the ribbon and tie a pretty bow.