★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/4 cshortening (i use butter)
1 1/2 pkgyeast active dry or compressed (this equals just under 1 tablespoon dry)
1/4 cwarm water (lukewarm for compressed yeast)
3 1/4 cunsifted regular all-purpose flour
·butter topping (recipe follows)
1/3 cchopped almonds
How to Make German Butterkuchen
- Scald the milk, add the 1/2 cup sugar, salt and shortening and cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water, then stir into cooled milk mixture.
- Beat the eggs with 1 cup of the flour.
- Add rest of flour alternately with milk-yeast mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch baking pan, spreading dough evenly.
- Set in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the butter topping and almonds evenly over top and bake in a moderately hot oven (375 degrees) for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Makes 12 squares.
- BUTTER TOPPING: Cut 1/2 (1/4 lb.) butter into 1 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until fine crumbs develop.