Fruit Coffee Bread
It is to be accompanied with the "Spirited Spread"...also made with added Homemade Liqueur's. (Recipe will follow)
The Bread and Spirited Spread
..along with a bottle of homemade liqueur would be beautiful as a gift in a basket for any occasion.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 6 ounce package mixed dried fruit bits
- 1/2 c
- snipped dried apricots
- 1/2 c
- desired homemade liqueur*
- 4 1/2 c
- and up to 4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pkg
- dry active yeast
- 1 c
- 1/3 c
- packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp
- butter or margarine
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Fruit Coffee Bread
- 1In a small saucepan combine dried fruit bits, apricots, and Homemade Liqueur. Cook, uncovered, over low heat till all the liquid is absorbed; cool.
- 2In a large mixer bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and yeast. In a saucepan heat milk, brown sugar, butter or margarine, and salt just till warm (115-120 degrees) and butter is almost melted; stir constantly. Add to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in fruit.
- 3Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in using a spoon. On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once. cover; let rest 10 minutes. Divide in half. Roll one half into a 12x8 inch rectangle. Make 3 inch long cuts at 1 inch intervals on each long side. Fold strips from alternating sides over center of dough to form a criss-cross pattern. Place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover; let rise till nearly double (1 to 1 1/4 hours.) Bake in a 340 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till bread tests done. Cool on wire Rack.
- 4Serve with Spirited Spread. (recipe added on JAP)
Makes 2 loaves.
- 5*Suggested liqueurs: Apple cordial, blackberry brandy, homemade Amaretto, Orange flavored liqueur, Pear liqueur, Raspberry Liqueur