Finnish "Coffee Bread" for the Bread Machine
- 6 c
- bread flour
- 1 1/3 c
- milk, room temperature
- 1/2 c
- 1/3 c
- butter, softened
- 1/4 c
- lukewarm water
- 2 tsp
- active dry yeast
- 1 tsp
- ground cardamom (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- raisins, soaked in warm water to plump (discard water & dry off)
How to Make Finnish "Coffee Bread" for the Bread Machine
- 1This recipe is for the bread machine. I have the "Breadman Ultimate" machine, used for this recipe.
Add the yeast to the warm water. Stir until dissolved. Add milk and stir. In a separate bowl, beat one of the eggs with the sugar. Stir in the yeast mixture, salt and cardamom. Pour all this into the bread machine.
- 2Add the flour. Pour your raisins into the "Extras" compartment. Set your machine on the "Fruit and Nut" setting for a 2 lb. loaf with Extras. Crust setting should be Medium. Turn machine on. Watch as it mixes. You will probably have to add more flour because the dough will be a bit runny. Add enough flour to make it a little thicker than cake batter consistency. It will not form a ball around the paddle!
- 3Beat the other egg and brush the loaf with this mixture when it comes out of the machine. You may sprinkle some sugar over the top also, if you wish. Serve with butter, jam, honey - your preference. Enjoy.