Filled Lenten Buns (Semlor)
- 6 Tbsp
- 1 1/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- dried yeast (2 packets)
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- 1 1/2
- eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 3 3/4 c
- flour (approximately)
- 3/4 c
- ground almonds or one 3 1/2 oz. tube almond paste
- 1/2 c
- 1 1/2 c
- 3/4 c
- whipping cream (heavy cream)
How to Make Filled Lenten Buns (Semlor)
- 1In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Test the temperature of the milk-butter mixture - if it's hotter than body temperature, then set aside to cool. (Drip a few drops on the inside of your wrist.)
When milk-butter mixture is at body temperature, add yeast into the milk mixture. Let stand five minutes.
- 2Add salt, sugar and 1 egg to milk mixture.
Sift together 2 c flour and the baking powder. Add flour-baking powder to dough. Continue to add flour until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Cover, let stand in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3Turn out onto a floured board and knead in a little more flour. Shape dough into 18-20 smooth, round rolls. Cover, let rise in a warm place about 20 minutes.
- 4In a small bowl, beat 1 egg. Brush risen rolls with egg.
Bake rolls in a 450°F oven 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a rack and cool covered.
- 5Filling (optional)
Cut the top off of each roll. Make a well in each roll, making sure not to go through the crust. Take the inside bits you removed and combine it with ground almonds, sugar, and cream. Filling should be quite loose. Fill the well in each roll with the filling.
- 6Cream Topping
Whip cream and confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy. Pipe cream around the tops of the cut edges, replace the roll tops. Dust with extra confectioner's sugar.
8 points per roll
Semlor can be frozen after baking - before filling. Once filled, they must be eaten the same day.