★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 c
- all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 Tbsp
- instant yeast
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
How to Make English Muffin Toasting Bread
- 1Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 100°F and 120°F. Be sure to stir the liquid well before measuring its temperature; you want an accurate reading. If you don't have a thermometer, the liquid will feel quite hot (hotter than lukewarm),but not so hot that it would be uncomfortable to the touch.
- 3Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- 4Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft.
- 5Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.
- 6Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.
- 7Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely crowned over the rim of the pan. About 45 minutes to an hour.
- 8Preheat the oven to 400°F while dough is rising.
- 9Remove the cover from the risen dough, and bake the bread for 22 to 27 minutes, till it's golden brown.
- 10Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.