DOUBLE-ORANGE SCONES WITH ORANGE BUTTER
Jo Anne Sugimoto
- 2 c
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 tsp
- grated orange peel
- 1/3 c
- butter, cold
- 1/2 c
- mandarin orange segments, chopped
- and drained (from 11 oz. can)
- 1/4 c
- egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp
- orange marmalade
How to Make DOUBLE-ORANGE SCONES WITH ORANGE BUTTER
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prep pan by lightly spraying a cookie sheet spray.
- 2In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and orange peel. Cut in 1/3 butter using pastry blender or pulling 2 table knives through the ingredients in opposite directions) until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add orange segments, milk and egg, stir with fork just until mixture leaves side of bowl and soft dough forms.
- 3Place dough on floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. On a cookie sheet, roll or pat dough into 7-inch round. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut into 8 wedges, separate slightly.
- 4Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy, stir in marmalade. Serve with warm scones.
- 5NOTE: When grating orange peel, be sure to grate only the orange part of the skin. The white part or pith is very bitter.