DATE AND NUT BREAD: Moist and Sweet
2-3 Tbspbutter : grandmother said..."butter, the size of an egg" ;)
1 cboiling water
1 cchopped dates
1/2 + cchopped walnuts
1 tspbaking soda, leveled
1 1/2 cflour
How to Make DATE AND NUT BREAD: Moist and Sweet
- Put chopped dates in a small mixing bowl and sprinkle with baking soda.Place the butter on top. Pour over with the boiling water, stir, and set aside.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a larger bowl.
- Beat egg in a cup, and then add to cooled date mixture.Stir.
- Combine date mixture with sifted dry ingredients. Mix well by turning over and over.
- Stir in chopped nuts.
- Take a piece of waxed paper and line a loaf pan so that "length side" of pan is covered with paper. Butter the wax paper and the two short ends of the pan. Get it well covered. Fill pan with batter.
- Bake for ONE HOUR in a 350 degree oven. Test doneness with either a long toothpick or piece of raw spaghetti, and make sure it comes out clean and dry.
- Cool to touch . Now tilt pan upside down, tap to remove bread, peel off wax paper, and cool the rest of the way on a rack.
- Slice and serve with softened cream cheese.