- 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan (recipe said 8 x 8 but moot as to which)
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter (recipe was fuzzy typed but looked like 1/8 cup or 1/3 cup)
- 1 c
- self-rising flour (recipe used all purpose plus 1 tsp baking powder)
- 1 c
- sugar (stayed true to recipe)
- 1 can(s)
- 14 oz. jellied cranberry sauce (recipe said 1 cup fresh)
- large eggs do not stir til i say (stayed true to recipe)
- 1/2 to 1 c
- pecans, chopped (recipe didn't call for any, their mistake)
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREE OVEN MELT BUTTER IN THE BAKING PAN
IN MIXING BOWL WILL PLOP ALL THIS IN:
How to Make Cranberry Squares
- 1While preheating oven to 350 degrees F, melt the Butter in the baking pan. While that is going on, proceed with rest of recipe.
- 2In your mixing bowl, toss in the Self-Rising Flour (i just scooped it out of the bag & didn't level it off but eyed it). Add the Sugar (not leveling it off worked for me). Add the Cranberry Sauce. Then add the Eggs, but don't mix yet. Add the Pecans.
- 3After brushing the melted butter around the baking pan to grease it, then toss it into the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- 4Now this is where I had a choice to make when I started mixing it. I knew some batters shouldn't be over stirred. But I had the jellied cranberry sauce to mix in. I compromised and mostly mixed it in using a spoon, not a mixer. Then when I could see some red splotched a bit in the batter where it wasn't all blended in, I stopped stirring. Curious as to how that would effect the texture of the finished product. WONDERFUL, as I ended up with some nice bits of jelly inside but not over done with the jelly.
- 5Plop it in the oven, said to bake 30 minutes but when I checked I thought that it needed some more baking. Probably wetter batter than had I used fresh cranberries. So I baked an additional 10 minutes. Next time I will just set my timer for 40 minutes but peek in the glass window to see how its baking. You want it golden brown.
- 6IF YOU CAN WAIT 10 MINUTES for it to cool on wire rack before cutting into bars, do so. I couldn't wait. I feel sure others might want to toss some whipped cream on top, maybe serve it warm with ice cream. My dog can't eat chocolate and she has a sweet tooth. This met her approval & mine. We love it.