Cinnamon Swirl Bread and Valentine Brunch French Toast
4 call purpose flour
1 tspbread machine yeast
1 1/2 tspsalt
2 or 3 Tbspmelted butter, cooled
1/4 cdark brown sugar
1/4 craisins ***optional***
THE FRENCH TOAST
1/4 cheavy cream
1/2 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Cinnamon Swirl Bread and Valentine Brunch French Toast
- ~~~*~~~THE BREAD~~~*~~~
- for bread.. mix dry ingredients, then pour into water and mix until moistened, dump into greased container and close lid for 12 hours on counter.
- dump dough onto floured surface and fold edges into middle several times. If you're going to add raisins you can do that now by folding them into the bread. turn over and form ball. sprinkle with flour and cover with plastic wrap for 2 1/2 hours on counter.
- put dutch oven or covered casserole dish into oven. set oven at 500 degrees.
- while oven is heating melt butter and mix sugars in a seperate bowl.
- remove plastic wrap from dough, and turn over. brush butter onto dough, and spread sugar mixture over it. loosely roll it up.
- when oven is heated remove dutch oven and remove lid. gently lift dough and drop into dutch oven, replace lid and put back in oven. bake for 30 minutes.
- remove lid and bake for another 10 minutes. keep your eye on it, this recipe is exact for my oven but others have reported burning so check on it!
- remove from oven and immediately dump onto cooling rack to cool. yumm!! The bread is done now and you can go ahead and eat it without making the french toast...its so good it might never make the next steps!!!!
- ~~~*~~~FRENCH TOAST~~~*~~~
- slice bread into 3/4 inch slices the night before and lay on cooling racks in cool oven overnight. This will allow the bread to become slightly stale and hold the custard better.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. mix the ingredients for the egg dip and pour some into a large baking dish. lay bread in the dip and pour more on to soak. after 5 minutes flip and soak another 3 or 4 minutes.
- fry 2 slices at a time in butter until browned, lay in greased baking dish. The frying cooks the outside but the custard is still raw in the middle of the bread, so you have to bake for 15 minutes after frying. Serve with butter, cinnamon sugar, maple syrup or fresh berries and whipped cream!