4 stickbutter (at room temperature)
2 1/2 csugar
3 ccake flour
2 Tbspbaking powder
4 csour cream
2 cdiced green chillies (e.g. jalapenos, fresh or bottled)
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
1/4 tspred chili flakes
1 bunchfresh cilantro (washed, dried, and large stems removed)
How to Make Cilantro Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs a little at a time while mixer is on low speed.
- Sift together cornmeal, cake flour and baking powder. Mix in sour cream, then add dry ingredients and mix for 30 seconds. Add green and red chiles, salt, cayenne and red chile flakes; mix for an additional minute.
- Remove one third of the batter and purée with the cilantro in a blender.
- Spray two (9-inch) cake pans or two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with non-stick spray. (You can also prepare muffin pans for a yield of 48 muffins) Spoon in some of the plain batter, then pour in some of the green batter and drag a knife across back and forth to create a marbled effect. Top it with remaining plain batter.
- Bake until the center feels firm, the edges are beginning to brown, or a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, approximately 40 minutes for the cakes, 50 minutes for the loaves, and about 25 minutes for the muffins. Recipe can be halved.