2 cwarm milk (110 degrees)
3 pkgative dry yeast
8 call purpose flour
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1lemon rind, grated
1 1/2 craisins
1 cchopped almonds
2/3 ccandied lemon peel
1/3 ccandied orange peel
1/2 cplus 2 tablespoons butter
1 cpowdered sugar (heaping cup)
How to Make Christmas Stollen
- To make the Yeast Dough:
- Put warm milk into a medium bowl; stir in 1 T. sugar. Sprinkle with the yeast; let stand 5 minutes or until the surface is frothy. Stir gently to moisten any dry yeast particles remaining on the top.
- Sift 6 2/3 cups flour salt, and remaining sugar into a large bowl.
- Add the vanilla and the grated lemon peel to the yeast mixture and stir.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture, combining to make a semi firm dough.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth.(use your stand mixer with the bread hook if you have one)
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a warm moist cloth or towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. (I heat my oven on 200 degrees for about 2 min and turn it off)
- Mix raisins,almonds and candied peel in a medium bowl; sprinkle with rum. Cover and let steep.
- Work butter and remaining flour together; knead into risen dough. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Work fruit and rum mixture quickly into dough. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Grease baking sheets or cover with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 3 portions.
- On a floured surface, gently roll each piece into a 12-inch oval which is thinner in the middle than at the edges. Fold dough over lenghtwise, making a 6 inch length. This gives the typical stollen shape.
- Place dough on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining 2 pieces of dough.
- Cover and let stand in a warm place 20 minutes, until increased in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake stollen 30-35 minutes or until a rich golden brown.
- To make Topping: melt butter. Brush melted butter over the hot stollen. Sift powdered suggar generously over stollen.