Cardamom Orange Scones
★★★★★ 1 vote5
3 cunbleached white flour (can use part w/w)
4 tspbaking powder
1/2 ccold butter
1/2 to 3/4 cbuttermilk
1/2 to 3/4 tspreal orange extract
1 cchopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 1/4 cpowder sugar
2-3 Tbsporange juice
1/8 tsporange extract (optional)
How to Make Cardamom Orange Scones
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and stir them well then add the pieces of butter and use either a pastry blender or I use my kitchen aide mixer paddle and blend until it resembles coarse mixture. (Do not over mix)
- Add the nuts if you are using them, if you forget to add the nuts before the liquid then I suggest you forget the nuts completely.
- Add the buttermilk slowly and mix the dough "lightly" if using your hands trying not to warm up the dough too much. If using a mixer I put mine on slow speed and add buttermilk slowly until the right dough consistancy is reached. The dough should be holding together but not sticky that is why it is best to add liquid at a slow pace. If it gets too sticky you can add a little flour. You should have the consistancy of playdough pretty much.
- Divide dough into 2 halves taking each half and shaping it into a round loaf about 6 inches or so across (do not flatten it) It should look like a mini pizza only taller. Taking a pizza cutter cut each loaf into 8 slices (like a pizza) and place them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray with about 2 inches between them.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes but ovens vary so much I suggest checking them at 10. Then should be just browed slightly on the bottom and just turning golden on top.
- OPTIONAL (you may sprinkle the loafs with sugar before cutting if you dont want to drizzle them with orange icing
- Take them off the sheet and let them cool on a rack and when still warm drizzle them with orange icing and ENJOY