1 1/2 cmilk, scald and cool
2 pkgactive dry yeast
1/2 cwarm water (105-115 degrees)
1 tspground cardamom
1/2 cclarified salted butter (set aside)
6 call purpose flour (set aside)
How to Make Cardamom Bread
- In small bowl, mix the yeast with the warm water and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix and beat the remaining ingredients ..EXCEPT for the flour and the butter into the cooled milk.
- In a large bowl, place 6 cups flour. Make a small well in the middle of the flour and place the yeast mixture in well. Stir some to add a little flour to yeast mixture. Slowly add milk mixture adding flour until you have smooth creamy dough in center of bowl. Let rest a few minutes, covered. Stir in butter and remaining flour. Knead until dough is smooth and silky, about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 parts. Divide each part into 3, roll out each part into a 16 inch rope and braid. Repeat for each loaf. This recipe will make 3 loaves.
Put into greased bread pans.
- After the loaves have risen about 45 minutes to 1 hour brush with egg wash. (1 egg and 3 tablespoons water, beaten until blended). Sprinkle each loaf with coarse granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown or tests done.