1envelope dry yeast
2 Tbsplukewarm water
2 Tbspvegetable oil
3 1/2 csifted flour
**lard for frying yes lard! she said thats the secret
**sifted confectioners sugar for dusting
**honey butter- she didnt share a recipe, and i rarely use it, just basic honey butter....
How to Make Beignets
- Scald milk and dissolve sugar and salt in it. Add nutmeg. Let milk mixture cool to luke warm
- Soften the yeast in the 2 Tbsp lukewarm water and combine with milk mixture.
- Stir in egg and oil and thoroughly blend in the flour a little at a time.
- Cover thge bowl lightly with a cloth and let dough rise in a warm place til it has doubled (about 1 1/2 hours)
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured pastry board, deflate it and knead it gently.
- Roll out to a rectangle 18' long and 12' wide. Cut into 36 3'x12' pieces. Cover lightly with a cloth and let Beignets rise on the pastry board for 30 minutes.
- Heat your lard to 375, cook beignets a few at a time until they are golden, drain well, dust immediately with confectioners sugar and serve at once while hot.
This makes 36 Beignets, count on at least 2-3 per person!