1 cmilk (heated up)
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1envelope of dry yeast
3 call purpose flour
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1/2 tspground nutmeg
·vegetable oil for deep frying
·powdered sugar to sprinkle ontop
How to Make Beignets
- Heat the milk up in the microwave for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the hot milk and egg with 2 TBL of vegetable oil and the sugar. Blend thoroughly, then add the dry yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and spices, then add half to the yeast mixture.( if you have a stand mixture with a hook attachment that works great when mixing this. If not mixing by hand works just the same!) Add the remaining flour and knead to incorporate.
- Spray a seperate bowl with cooking spray and form a large ball, put the dough in the bowl, cover and let it double in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and knead until dough is elastic.
- On a floured board, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 in and cut into 24 5 in squares. (I use a pizza cutter for this part but you can also you any cookie cutter you like to form any shape you want!)
- Place the dough on a greases cookie sheet and allow the dough to rise again for about 45 minutes.
- Pour about 3 in of oil into a deep fryer or a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, heat to 375 degrees. Drop in dough a few at a time, cooking them and turning them till golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve hot!