Whole Wheat Batter Buns- No Kneading
PLEASE NOTE: Prep time includes rising time.
Cracked wheat cereal is sold by many cereal companies, including Bob's Red Mill, Hodgson Mill and several others. I recently found it at our local Kroger's. It is available online and at health food stores. Cracked wheat is low in fat, cholesterol, sodium and sugar yet has all the nuitrition of the whole grain, including the wheat germ.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 1 1/2 c
- 3/4 c
- cracked wheat cereal
- 1/4 c
- butter, room temperature
- 1 c
- 2 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1 c
- sugar (no substitute, needed for rising)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 2 large
- 1 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- a little melted butter to brush on the tops of baked rolls
How to Make Whole Wheat Batter Buns- No Kneading
- 1Bring water and cereal to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter. When butter is melted add milk. Cool entire mixture down to 120 degrees (lukewarm).
- 2In a large mixer bowl stir together (by hand) 2 cups whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Begin to add cereal mixture and beating with mixer on low speed. Add eggs, one at a time, then beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour. Mixture should be a thick batter. Do not knead this batter. When well blended cover bowl and let sit in a warm area to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 3Stir down batter and spoon into 24 greased muffin cups filling each about two thirds full.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Let rolls rise 30-35 minutes or until batter fills mufin cups and bulges a little over the top.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from oven and brush tops of rolls with melted butter. Cool on wire racks.