Weissbrot mit Kümmel
5 ozwarm milk
2 ozwarm water
1 11/2 tspactive dry yeast
5 Tbspbutter, to room temperature
2 tspcaraway seeds, lightly crushed + more for garnish
3 1/2 cbread flour
1egg + 1 small egg whisked with a little bit of water for the egg wash
1 1/2 Tbspsugar
How to Make Weissbrot mit Kümmel
- Pour the milk and water into the KitchenAid stand up mixer bowl. Add the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast starts to foam. (I also added the butter the final minute to soften it, too.)
- Add the flour, salt, egg and sugar to the yeast mixture. KNEAD for about 2-3 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and place on a floured cutting board. KNEAD a few times then shape into 1 large round loaf or 2 smaller loaves.
- Place the loaves on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan and let rise in a warm oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the top of the loaves with an egg-water wash. Sprinkle each loaf with caraway seeds. You can also score the crust if you wish.
- Bake the loaves for about 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden and the bread is hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom.