Weissbrot mit Kümmel
- 5 oz
- warm milk
- 2 oz
- warm water
- 1 11/2 tsp
- active dry yeast
- 5 Tbsp
- butter, to room temperature
- 2 tsp
- caraway seeds, lightly crushed + more for garnish
- 3 1/2 c
- bread flour
- 2 tsp
- egg + 1 small egg whisked with a little bit of water for the egg wash
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
How to Make Weissbrot mit Kümmel
- 1Pour the milk and water into the KitchenAid stand up mixer bowl. Add the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast starts to foam. (I also added the butter the final minute to soften it, too.)
- 2Add the flour, salt, egg and sugar to the yeast mixture. KNEAD for about 2-3 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 3Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- 4Punch down dough and place on a floured cutting board. KNEAD a few times then shape into 1 large round loaf or 2 smaller loaves.
- 5Place the loaves on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan and let rise in a warm oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 6Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the top of the loaves with an egg-water wash. Sprinkle each loaf with caraway seeds. You can also score the crust if you wish.
- 7Bake the loaves for about 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden and the bread is hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom.