Twisted Garlic and Cheese Bread
1 pkgdry active yeast, quick rise
1 cwater, warm (about 110 degrees)
2 Tbspvegetable oil
2 1/2-3 cflour
FILLING AND TOPPING
1/3 lbcheese of your choice, sliced thinly (i used sharp cheddar)
1 stickbutter, melted
·garlic powder, to taste
How to Make Twisted Garlic and Cheese Bread
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and salt. Add other dough ingredients and stir until mixture forms a ball. Once dough starts pulling away from the sides and the bowl seems to be pretty clean, knead dough on a lightly floured surface for a few minutes. The dough should be smooth and tacky, but when touched shouldn’t leave any dough on your fingers.
- Turn upside down and pour enough veggie oil to coat ball of dough. Let dough sit in bowl in a warm place, covered(paper towel, plastic wrap, etc.) until doubled in size. (about an hour)
- Punch down the dough and separate into two equal portions. Form into two long baguettes the length of the cookie sheet. Twist each baguette(helps it keep its length)and cover again and let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 while you're waiting for the dough to rise. Once oven is preheated put the bread into the oven and bake 20 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, mix melted butter and garlic powder for quick garlic butter.
- Pull bread out of the oven after 20 minutes and brush with garlic butter. Bake another 5-7 minutes or until bread begins to turn a golden brown. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes.
- Cut 1-inch slices 3/4's of the the way through the loaves. Brush garlic butter in between each slice and fill with a slice of cheese. Bake another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Serve right away with dipping sauces of your choice or eat the way it is. =]