Traditional Irish Treacle Bread
500 gor 1lb plain flour (sieved)
2 Tbsptreacle also known as molasses in america .
1/2 ptbutter milk or cows milk (approx)
2 tspcream of tarter
1 tspbread soda
2 ozraisins or sultanas
How to Make Traditional Irish Treacle Bread
- Pre-heat oven to 200c/400f.ligth dust a flat baking sheet with flour. Leave the tin of treacle in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes, this will help soften treacle and make it easier to spoon out of tin. Heat the treacle and butter milk in a low heat just slightly warm .
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Add sufficient liquid to mix ,to a soft dough then onto a floured surface and lighting knead.
Shape into a round circle, place onto the flat baking sheet and make a cross on top of dough with a knife.
- Place into pre-heated oven and bake for about 40 minutes.
Treacle bread is a traditional Irish favourite.
When baked the bread will have a hallow sound if trapped on the base.
cool on wire tray for 5 minutes.
- Then get a clean ,dry tea towel and wrap the treacle bread up in it, this will help to give a softer crust on your bread..
- NOTE= when completely cooled serve with a spread of butter and a cup of tea....:)