Texas Corn Bread
How to Make Texas Corn Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Put oil or bacon grease into a 12 inch cast iron skillet and heat on top of stove. Keep warm until ready to add to batter.
- 3Mix dry ingredients.
- 4Add milk and egg and stir just until combined. Do not over mix. It is okay and even desired if batter is lumpy.
- 5Add hot oil, stirring so you don't cook the eggs as you add the oil.
- 6Cook on high on top of stove for 30 - 45 seconds before placing in hot oven. This will give you a very crispy bottom crust.
- 7Bake for 15 - 20 minutes in a hot oven. Begin checking for doneness after about 13 minutes. Cornbread will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The finished product should be tall and golden brown. It will also slide right out of the skillet if you have a well-seasoned cast iron skillet.