Southwestern Green Chile Cheese Bread
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a wonderful bread to pair with any southwestern dish! It is pretty labor-intensive, but the reward is well worth it.
We kept the leftover green chilis and put them on top of the bread, and it turned out well. We did try locating the green chili powder, but to no avail. To be honest, though, I cannot imagine that it could have made this bread any better. A real winner! The Test Kitchen
1 pkgActive dry yeast
2/3 cLukewarm apple juice or water (l05-ll5 degrees)
1 cWhole-wheat flour
1/4 cdry milk powder
1 tspGreen chile powder, optional
1 cGrated Cheddar Cheese
1 can(s)Chopped Green Chile, drained
1-1/4 cWhole-wheat flour or all purpose flour
1 TbspOlive Oil
How to Make Southwestern Green Chile Cheese Bread
- Stir yeast & juice (or water) in a large bowl until dissolved.
- In another bowl, stir together the 1 cup flour, milk powder, salt and chile powder, if used. Stir in yeast mixture & beat with electric mixer until it forms a sticky mass, about 3 minutes. Cover & let rest for 1 hour. Beat in egg & additional flour until dough begins to come together.
- Plop onto a lightly floured counter & gradually knead in additional flour only as needed to prevent sticking and forms a soft dough. Too much flour will make your bread dry. Knead until soft & smooth, about 5 minutes. Knead in cheese & chile.
- Coat ball of dough with olive oil and place in bowl. Cover with damp cloth & let rise in a warm spot until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Reshape into a ball tucking in the ends & place on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise again until almost doubled, 15 to 30 minutes. Preheat oven 425 degrees & place baking pan filled with 1-1/2 inches of water on the lowest shelf of oven.
- Sprinkle loaf with additional grated cheese, if you wish and place in middle of oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 375 and bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown & bread sounds hollow when tapped with your fingers. Remove from oven & cool somewhat, for better slicing. It is great served warm but great at any temperature.
- DON't worry if you can't find the Green chile powder, it will work without it.